Monday, April 05, 2010

Tea Cakes


So how often is it that a recipe turns out *exactly* like the picture in the cookbook or magazine? Since most of the time those pictures are not actually real, it rarely happens.
When I pulled these beauties out of the oven for the first time I was honestly astonished. They looked exactly - or even prettier, than the picture. These are such perfect little dainties. Deceptively simple, light and airy, yet an oh so subtle crispiness when you first bite into them. The Cream of Tarter gives them a special twist. These are a favorite with everyone. My little brother adores them, and if I make them around the time dad comes home, they're gone in minutes. I just sprinkle them lightly with powdered sugar, and that's the way we like them best, but I have also tried vanilla sugar which was quite tasty, and I imagine cinnamon and sugar would be yummy too.

Tea Cakes

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
Powdered Sugar

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar butter, oil, and eggs. Cream well. Add the vanilla.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, soda, baking powder, and cream of tartar. Add to the creamed mixture, mixing well.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoon fulls (I use a large cookie scoop) onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I line mine with parchment)

Bake in a preheated 325* oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges of the cakes are brown. While teacakes are warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar.


Perfect with a cup of Earl Grey!

If you make these, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy!!

~Elissa

1 comment:

Martha A. said...

They sound great with Earl Grey!