Thursday, June 24, 2010

Whole Wheat and Oat Waffles

Last week we had waffles planned for dinner. The last time I'd made waffles they turned out a little less than delicious so I decided to try out a new recipe. I spent my computer time that day looking at recipes and reading reviews. I finally decided on a yummy looking recipe from All Recipes. It called for all purpose flour and whole oats, but I used freshly ground pastry flour and I ground up the oats in my blender for a slightly coarse oat flour. When mixed it all up it was far too dry, it wouldn't even pour out of the cup, so I upped the milk to about 1 and 3/4 cups. It was still thick, but pourable so I went ahead and used it, and let me tell you, I think I struck upon the PERFECT waffle batter. It made four huge Belgian waffles, and even after the fourth waffle, the iron was still clean. I know I'm not the only one who hates cleaning the waffle iron. If you're the same, try this recipe, and I bet you'll be surprised. All I did was wipe it down for good measure, and put it away. I'm lovin' it!!

These waffles are whole-grainy and wholesome but still sweet, crisp on the outside, and fluffy and light on the inside. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to get a picture, but I'll be making them again soon, so I'll be sure to get a picture then and post it!



Whole Wheat and Oat Waffles


Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup ground oats or out flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 2 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 6 tablespoons butter, melted
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar


Directions
Grind oats in a blender until they're a flour-like consistancy but still ever so slightly coarse.
In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside. In small mixing bowl, stir together eggs, milk, butter and brown sugar. Add to flour mixture; stir until blended. Pour batter on to grids of preheated, lightly greased waffle iron (amount will vary with size of waffle iron). Close lid quickly; do not open during baking. Use fork to remove baked waffle.

We served them with sliced strawberries, freshly whipped cream, and pure maple syrup.

Enjoy!

As always, do try them and tell me how you liked the recipe!!

~Elissa

No comments: