Saturday, June 26, 2010

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust /Originally posted 6/20/08




Recipe Update 6/26/10
The original recipe didn't call for it, but this dough really needs to rise for about an hour and up to three hours. I've now included that in the recipe, but if you happened to save this recipe to try, you might want to update it! If you don't let it rise, the dough is tough and hard.



Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Makes two crusts

4 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour (or spelt or Kumut)
1 TB yeast
1TB olive oil
1 TB honey
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 -1/2 cups very warm water (110*)

In a mixer add water, and then remaining ingredients, adding enough flour to clean sides of bowl. Knead dough 3-5 minutes or until gluten is developed. Cover bowl and let dough rise for at least an hour, and up to three hours.
Pre heat oven at 500 degrees. Remove from bowl. Use about one pound of dough per crust Make the pizza dough more stiff than normal bread dough so that it will be easy to roll out with out stickiness. Roll out on pizza paddle or pan (you can roll it out on cornmeal, but I just grease my pan) Brush crust with oil and prick with a fork. Prebake 5-8 minutes. After it's prebaked turn oven down to 350, to bake your topped pizza.

Crust variation
Herbed dough: (this is what we make)
While dough is kneading, add 4-10 TB minced fresh herbs or 2-6 TB dried herbs. Such as oregano, basil, tarragon, sage, rosemary, marjoram, or Italian Seasoning



Enjoy!

~Elissa

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh! We'll have to try this one!
We've been looking for a good pizza crust recipe that uses whole wheat flour. :)

Heather said...

Elissa,

What exactly is war water? Do we have it imported from Iraq?

Hangs head in shame,since I am her teacher! ;o)

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Elissa, this really looks delicious!

I've been on your blogs before but never commented. Thought I would this once.

Oh, and tell your mom not to worry about that mistake! Spelling comes easy to me but I still make those kinds of mistakes!

God bless!
Hannah L.

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! I just came upon your blog while looking for old-fashioned kitchen pictures. I read your profiles and am so blessed to find God-fearing women! I even like your choice of movies:) I have one at saltydisciplines.blogspot.com; it is centered around Titus 2, caring for the training of young women and women who are truly devoted to Jesus Christ. Anyway, I am going to send your site to my darling nieces in MT. who are kindred spirits of the godly kind!! They cook and will enjoy your recipes. God be with you, and keep you close to Him.
Auntie eM (my post name)
(Margaret)
P.S. where'd ya get those darling pics?